terça-feira, 2 de abril de 2024

 AN IMPRESSIVE AND COMPLETE TREATMENT OF THEME IN FICTION WRITING

Milton Maciel, author, editor and writing coach from Brazil and Portugal

The study of THEME in fiction has always fascinated me, as has that of Symbolism. That’s why, when I was still living in Brazil, I explored in depth the books of two important authors on this subject, the notables William Bernhard (“Thinking Theme, the Heart of the Matter”) and K. M. Weiland (“Writing Your Story Theme, the Writer's Guide to Plotting Stories that Matter')

Now, already living in Portugal, I discovered Mike Klaassen's new work on the same subject: “How to Write a Novel That Matters – Crafting Stories with the Power of Captivate, Enlighten and Inspire”.

I confess that the high quality of this work by Klaassen did not come as a surprise to me, because I had the opportunity to study his two previous books “Scenes and Sequels: How to Write Page-Turning Fiction” and “Fiction Writing Modes: Eleven Essential Tools to Bring Your Story to Life.” I was already aware, therefore, of Mike Klaassen's competence as a great instructor of fiction writing techniques.

But “How to Write a Novel That Matters” brings an exact and deeply detailed approach to this fascinating topic that is precisely the THEME in itself.

Klaassen shows that the five fundamental elements of fiction are plot, character, setting, style, and theme. And then he proceeds to demonstrate all the multiple possibilities an author has to employ Theme – all three categories of structural themes – as a fundamental weapon to craft a novel that resonates with his readers, enabling him to create an unforgettable fiction work.

As an author of 12 novels myself, an editor and the head of a writing school, I will use this new Klaassen book as a guide for my own writing and for that of all our students.

I can affirm that Mike Klassen's book comes to complete a most valuable trilogy with the books of K. M. Weiland and William Bernhard on the dense and formidable subject of Theme.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário